Information for Teachers
- Teacher Guide (2MB PDF, rev. Sept. 2012) and Powerpoint (14MB, rev. Sept. 2012) to all Ocean FEST activities, including background information and Hawai‘i Content and Performance (HCPS) standards.
- The Ecological Acoustic Recorder (EAR; PDF) listens to life on the coral reef. Listen to these animal sounds (all .wav files):
and download the above EAR activity PDF to use in your classroom.
- Learn how scientists monitor coral reefs through this hands-on activity (link is to a PDF). Artists’ renditions of two coral reef ecosystems are provided: Northwestern Hawaiian Islands (healthy, 11.6 MB JPG) and Main Hawaiian Islands (impacted, 12.5 MB JPG). Each map is approximately 7 feet x 5 feet.
- Hands-on science kits are fully self-contained, standards-based and free for teachers to borrow. They cover a range of topics and technologies in ocean science and are available in Hawaii (on the islands of O‘ahu, Maui, Kaua‘i and Hawai‘i), California, Oregon, and Massachusetts.
- Grants for Education in Microbial Science (GEMS) are available to public school teachers to purchase much of the equipment and supplies used in Ocean FEST.